Question: 42 year old, female, difficult breathing, fainting

lunacats - Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:11 pm

My wife has stopped breathing several times in 2004. She first feel very difficult to breath and then she passed out for a minute or so. Her family doctor, cardiologist, and emergency room doctors had checked and tested her several times in the past few years, but could not find any thing abnormal in her system.
She recently fainted in December 2007, and 3-28-08. Each time she is laying there dead for about a minute. Which is very frightening for me and my children. What cause my wife to faint? Where can I find the answer of the cause of my wife illness?
Very truly yours,
Phuoc Ngo
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:50 am

Fainting is the result of momentary decrease in blood supply to the brain. It can be associated with low blood pressure. Other causes include dehydration, getting up too fast, breathing too fast, working or playing hard, getting very upset, being queasy over something upsetting such as the sight of blood, the result of medication side effects (especially if taking blood pressure medication), a drop in blood sugar (as with diabetics). In many cases it is of no real concern except safety from falls and injury.

But it could also be indicative of a more serious underlying disorder. Whenever you lose consciousness it is a good idea to have it checked out with a doctor. Where she has had multiple episodes, I think it is important to find out why - especially if she has any other symptoms along with it (shortness of breath, irregular heart beat, pregnancy, confusion, speech difficulty, chest pain, confusion, taking longer than a few seconds to arouse, shortness of breath).

If your wife feels she is about to faint, she should try to lie down. If this is not possible, she should sit bent over forward with her head low between her knees. She should not get up quickly but should wait until she feels better to ease her way up again. Be sure she is well-hydrated.

Best wishes to you and your family.

|