Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Treadmill/Stress test and HYPERTENSION

27wthhbp - Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:12 am

I am a 28 y/o caucasian male. I'm in good physical condition 6ft 1in, 206 lbs, and work out regularly. I have had borderline hypertension since the age of 17. During my time in the military and after (til now) high blood pressure has never effected me. The doc always would say "well, your bp is a bit high" but never put me on medicine. Approximately 1 year ago I spent about a month in third world countries, sleeping and eating unhealthy food out of airports. My immune system was down and developed what was to be determed as Shingles. At the time I had shingles my blood pressure was pretty high and I was placed on blood pressure medicine. The strength of the first medicine was not strong enough, but once the mg's were raised it seemed to bring my blood pressure down. I began to eat healthy, run/workout more often, and take my medicine. At my next doctors visit the blood pressure was good.

Currently I am under consideration for employment and must take a treadmill stress test. I know I will do well with the test as I am in good physical condition. My concern is that my blood pressure is too high, which will cause me to fail the test. Blood results, chest xrays, etc have all come out clean as I have been checked recently. Besides high blood pressure I have no signs of heart disease. My blood pressure (although lately normal at my regular doctors visit was slightly elevated at the physical for future employment....I attibutate that to nerves. BP at most recent physical was 130/72. My questions are:

1) If there are no signs of coronary artery disease/heart disease, but my high blood pressure is high (most recent on file 130/72), will this be something that could cause me to fail the stress test?
2) Do doctors only determine the health of an individual strictly based on blood pressure, or do all factors come into account?
3) Does my blood pressure, which seems to be only borderline, pose any imminent threat (pending everything else with me is healthy) to me having a med clearance?
4) Is a reading of 130/72 at a doctors office with the anxiety of getting a job a bad reading?

Any and all insight would be helpful. And as you can see, maybe I should be in the "anxiety" forum as well! Thanks for your help. Hope to hear from you.
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:02 pm

It is good that you started the BP medicine which controlled your hypertension. A BP of 130/70 is never called high and is perfectly within normal range.

High blood pressure does not always mean an abnormal stress test. With your BP and your physical attributes, and your workout habits it is unlikely you will fail stress test.

Doctors determine health by various parameters BP being only one of them.

I would not consider your BP 130/72 borderline, it is normal.

All in all I do not think you have any issues on your medical clearance.

Apurva

|