Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High Cholesterol

rsw - Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:32 pm

I am 36 years old and recently had an annual physical. The blood test showed a cholesterol level of 256. The HDL and LDL wasn't where it should be either. The doctor said he wanted to try to control with diet and exercise. I've totally cut out fast food (fries, fried foods) which I used to have only once in a while but then over the last 2 or 3 years has become more habitual. Now I am only eating soy products (garden burgers etc), no cheeses, no dairy, lots of tea.

The question is this: I've seen a few conflicting bits of information regarding what to eat. Some say avoid foods high in cholesterol and others say its not relevant. One dietician (Click here!) says eat something starchy at every meal (potatoes, bread, rice). Others say avoid carbohydrates. Prevention.com says that eating avocados is one of the top ten cholesterol reducing foods since it contains beta-sitosterol and that this reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed from foods and the combination of this with the monounsaturated fat in the avocado makes it an excellent choice. The handout my doctor gave me says to avoid avocados. See why I'm confused? Now I don't know what to eat. Can anyone point me in the right direction or a source of information that is reliable. Thanks

Rob
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:39 am

User avatar Dear Rob,

These are links to the pages on the websites of the american heart association, the american college of cardiology and center for disease control that contain i hope reliable and trusted information about diet and cholesterol.

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

Feel free to serf the websites of the above mentioned organization and you will find lots of info about cholesterol and how to lower it.

Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian so that you can also discuss whatever concerns and thoughts you have.

|