News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Always feel heart beat in throat/Strong with exertion...

chrisr23 - Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Hello doc, I am 20 and suffering from Strong pulse and always feeling sensation of my heartbeat. I always feel my heart in my throat too most of the day now. I had 2 echos, a stress test, 3d thalium ct scan of heart, and all the holter monitors and event monitors. Everythign has come out perfect. Except i just checked my records lately and noticed on one of the echos in early 2006 i had a trace of mild valve regurgitation. I am worried. Because i panic all the time and i have been to 3 cardiologists and even a elctrophysiologist and they say not to worry. they all say tis anixety but i can still feel my heart in my throat. I am scared to exercise and when i do things that cause exertion i have to take a deep breathe and my heart is beating strong. I am very scared of this strong heartbeat and always feeling it in my throat. My latest test I just had a 30 day holter monitor 5 months ago and it came out fine. and i had a chest xray done 2 months ago that was fine. I am very worried and I am scared please help. Do you think i could have heart failure now or early sings of it. Or is this anxiety from just worrying so much everyday for the last couple of years. Is it bad to always feel your heartbeat in your throat? Can worrying all the time brought this on? please not this all came from when i had a huge panic attack on new years eve of 2005 and never been the same since...
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 pm

User avatar Hi,

Many healthy young individuals do feel palpitations and strong pulse feeling, especially in thin and lean persons. Once you get a little conscious of this it causes anxiety. Anxiety will cause the heart to beat even faster and stronger. And the vicious cycle goes on.

Trace regurgitation is never an abnormality and many healthy individuals in general population have it on their Echo.

For your kind of symptoms you have undergone a battery of very advanced cardiac tests and many of this will show some irrelevant or inconsequential findings that will unnecessarily add to you anxiety. Feeling the force of pulse in one’s throat is not a cause of worry.

Forget heart failure. It is a complex entity wherein the heart has lost its force to pump out the blood. It will show as low Ejection Fraction on your Echo.

A simple advice for you. Calm down. Don’t be too health conscious. Remember at any given time a large majority of world population is healthy and free of disease. This is called concept of ‘wellness’. Occupy your mind with things you enjoy. Do vigorous physical exercises. Do some yoga and meditation. Forget doctors!

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here