Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Multiple PVC's

EXPANDER - Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:50 pm

Hello, I am having multiple pvc's. Last holter monitor indicated roughly 3500 per 24 hour period. I have doctors tell me not to worry they are benign. Yet I read posts by legitimate medical institutions that indicate that they put one at high risk of instant cardiac death. Which is it? if you need medical history it is listed on my profile in filled out if you need it here advise please?
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 pm

User avatar Hi EXPANDER,

Premature Ventricular Contractions [PVCs] are a common phenomenon. The range of the severity of these varies. Adverse outcomes from the PVCs can result from following situations:

1. Multiple, multifocal PVCs with more than 12-15 a minute. Multifocal means PVCs with different configuration on ECG.
2. ‘R on T’ phenomenon. Meaning the R wave of the PVC is so close to the previous beat that it has a chance to fall on the T wave of that previous beat. If this happens a life threatening arrhythmia called Ventricular Tachycardia will result.
3. Salvos or Runs of PVCs. More than one coming consecutively.
4. PVCs associated with angina and exercise.
5. PVCs associated with Hypokalemia [low potassium] or Hypercalcemia [high calcium]. These electrolyte imbalance needs to be corrected immediately.
6. PVCs in the setting of an acute heart attack or an acute Coronary Syndrome [ACS]
7. PVCs that cause a hemodynamic impairment- fall of BP, syncope, fainting etc.

As far as treatment of PCVs is concerned, many of the antiarrhythmic drugs have recently come under a cloud due to their side effects and increase in overall mortality. You will be surprised to know that one of the most common side effects of many anti-arrhythmic agents is arrhythmia!

Only two anti arrhythmic agents are currently in favor of cardiologists world wide and they are Beta blockers [preferably metoprolol] and Amiodarone. Again Amiodarone has a tendency to cause thyroid dysfunction and more seriously Pulmonary fibrosis in the long run. You already are on a beta blocker.

You may discuss out these data with your cardiologist and then decide whether you should take anti arrhythmic treatment or not.

Apurva

|