Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Wierd feeling in chest/back

lost815 - Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:11 pm

I started to have a weird feeling in my chest about 4 months ago after coming back to basketball practice after Christmas break. I didn’t think anything of it but it steadily got worse. At one point I felt a slight pain in my left and right side of chest. That went away though after about 3 weeks and has never came back. So I thought I was fine but then one day I felt an odd heart beat. It only happened once and happens every once in a while but most of the time my heart beat is pretty normal. The thing that is been constant throughout the past four months is a tingly feeling in my back, shoulder, and chest usually in my back. There is also pressure in my left side of my chest. When I am wearing a shirt I feel it the most but when I am naked I can’t hardly feel it. I am 17 years old no one in my family has a history of any type of illness. I really just wish it would go away. One thing I should mention is I had a heart murmur when I was about 3 but they said that it was gone. I’m going in for a physical in about 3 weeks I am hoping that I can find out what is wrong with me before then. Please email me back with a result and if you need any further info I can tell you. email: jjfreeze87@hotmail.com
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:44 pm

The odd feeling in your chest seems to be fairly superficial (you don't notice it unless there are clothes touching your chest), so that's probably not anything serious, although I can't imagine what it might be. It may be related to a too-finely tuned awareness of your body (extreme somatic awareness). This can be a problem, especially in anxiety-prone people. This is pretty common. The other sensations seem to be rather random and are probably unrelated. It would help to know if the pain in either side of your chest was constant or intermittent and if it happened on both sides at the same time, or switched. I am thinking that since you are a basketball player you might have pulled some pectoral muscles.

The tingly sensation you mention could well be due to a pinched or compressed nerve in your back or neck. Again, basketball comes to mind.

The one thing I can probably say something definite about is the "odd heartbeat" that happens occasionally. Most people have premature heartbeats from time to time, and sometimes quite frequently (especially if having used too much caffeine, smoked, been sleep-deprived, used cold medications, etc.). They happen very commonly but some people just don't notice them while others do. They do feel odd, and sometimes can be alarming, but they are normal and almost never have any clinical significance.

Hopefully your physical went well and served to ease your mind about these symptoms. If not, please do feel free to follow up with us here. Good luck to you.

|