News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral Valve Prolapse

nightstarsmom - Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:02 pm

I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve prolapse when I was 13, 2003. I didn't have any of the symptoms then, but over the past year, I have developed most all of them. I feel chest pain in the center/left side of my chest, sometimes for up to 5-10 minutes, in which time I can't breath full breaths. I also experience shortness of breath, and fatigue occasionally. I am going back for a check in a week, but I was wondering, what are my chances of needing surgery? Since I have suddenly developed all of these symtopms, I am assuming high?

Thank you. :D
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:21 pm

User avatar Dear Nightstarsmom,

Indications for surgery in mitral valve prolapse is to have severe mitral valve regurgitation.

i don't think that these symptoms that you have are symptoms of severe mitral valve regurgitation. i think that these are the regular mitral valve prolapse symptoms.

The best way is to have an echocardiogram done every year or according to what your primary care provider thinks.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 nightstarsmom - Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:11 pm

Thank you for your reply, but I have one more question. What are the symptoms for sever valve reguritation, if there are any? Also, could it have progressed from where it was before, since I had all of the symptoms all of a sudden, and didn't have them before? I also get dizzy and very tired after hiking up three stairs, and I have three flights at my school.

Thanks again for your help and time. I appreciate it! :D
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:13 am

User avatar Dear Nightstarsmom,

Patients with mitral valve prolapse usually have an inciduous course of developing mitral valve regurge.

If you are referring to acute mitral valve regurge which can happen sometimes of course, the onset is not all of a sudden but rather dramatic with need for hospitalization and you would be a lot sicker.

This could be mitral regurge but if it is, most probably it is going to be mild not necessitating surgery at this point in time.

Shortness of breath on exertion has lots of causes begining with being physically unfit up to having heart or lung failure.

The only way to make sure that this is not secondary to mitral valve prolapse progressing to mitral regurge is to have an echocardiogram and compare it to the ones that you had before.

Also, i think it is important to have a follow-up echocardigraphy on regular basis such as yearly.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 nightstarsmom - Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:24 pm

Thank you very much! I am fit, so I know that's not the issue with the fatigue. But thank you for your advice! You are a great help! :D Thanks agan.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here