News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Tobacco and Cardiovascular Endurance

armyjoe - Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi, I've been using smokeless tobacco for about a year now. I know the risks of using it, and I am currently trying to quit. I am also a runner, and have noticed that my endurance has started to suffer. Could using smokeless tobacco have any relation to my decreasing endurance during my runs?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 pm

User avatar Hello -

Yes, for a number of reasons the smokeless tobacco could, over an extended time, affect your endurance adversely, even though at first it may have seemed to enhance it somewhat (as it does in some cases). Between the increased load it puts on the cardiovascular system (same as any form of tobacco, though not necessarily as suddenly), and the risks for damage to other parts of the body (including a very high risk for cancers of the mouth, tongue and lip) I would encourage you to aggressively work to break this habit.

Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here