Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Low blood pressure, high pulse rate

jouezmoi - Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Dear Doctors,

Recently (about 3 weeks ago), I had an attack of dizziness and confusion that persisted ito the next day. This prompted me to have my blood pressure checked. It was 97/59 (for me normal is 115/75). My pulse was 115 (normal is about 80 - 85).

Since then, I have been monitoring my pressure daily. The only symptom I have is fatigue, but I do still have the occasional dizziness. I have found that my pressure barely crosses 100/60. Many times it is lower, and my pulse is consistently over 90, mostly over 100. I have gone to my GP who doesn't think it is a problem. This is not normal for me and it is not resolving itself. I am 5'3" and weigh 105 Lbs.

Please advise.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 pm

The attack of dizziness needs some explication if you don't mind, since the blood pressure variations you report would not be enough to cause faintness (which wouldn't perisist for a day or more anyway, without either going away or you passing out). It sounds much more like benign positional vertigo caused the dizziness, and this is often accompanied by a feeling of confusion, since one's surroundings seem to be moving. If you could describe the episode in a little more detail it would be helpful.

Again, and especially given your petite stature, the slight decrease in blood pressure should not have caused prolonged dizziness, nor the marked increase in heart rate. Since you already knew your normal rate and pressure I have to assume you check it fairly often, which could suggest you are by nature an anxious person. If this is so, a sudden bout of dizziness could make you feel anxious and cause a modest increase in heart rate.

Your current heart rate and blood pressure readings are fairly consistent with a person of your height, whereas the dizzy spell, having lasted more of a day, almost certainly was vertigo, probably of the benign positional sort.

If the fatigue persists and/or the dizziness recurs, I would certainly inform my doctor if I were you, but I can tell you your vital signs are within normal limits at this time, even though they may not be what you consider normal for you. They don't account for the dizziness, and if related to the fatigue at all, are probably secondary to the cause of that.

I hope this is helfpful. Please stay in touch.

|