Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Tingling in left arm and left leg

friend833 - Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:03 pm

also feeling of swelling of fingers toes and left lower lip. Had MRI done showed I had a posibble mini stroke. Saw a neuroligist he said it is Migraines when I have this problem even though I don't have a headache. I have done some checking and nowhere can I find that a migraine does not mean headache. I have had problems with migraines before so I think he is realating this to them. The emergency Doc I seen had suggested it is MS. My family doc said it was a mini stroke. Know I'm wondering should I get a second opinion. The neuroligist said the MRI I had showing a mini stroke doesn't mean anything he could pull ten people off the street do a MRI and they would have the same results. What should I do?

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:20 pm

User avatar Dear Friend833,

If this was multiple sclerosis, it would have appeared on the mri as it has a certain appearance. If you are still worried about this being ms, there are other investigations such as a spinal tap to get some of the fluid around the spinal cord to analyse it.

There are also other investigations that the neurlogist is more familiar with them than i am. Also, i can not really interpret the results of the mri because a neurologist sees far more mri than i do.

A pattern similar to the one that you have on the mri can be seen in cases of inflammation of the small arteries and blood vessels (condition known as vasculitis), there are also certain investigations that can be done to detect the presence of such condition.

|