News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Agatston Score 43, calsium outside pLAD, pmRCA

buanalabel - Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 am

I had visited doctor on Aug 20, doing ECG, Echocardiography, treadmill and the doctor suspect something is abnormal,then doing low dose coronary CT angiogram.
The result is coronary calcium score = 43, there are calcified and low density plaques in the promixal & mid RCA associated with mild (<50%) stenosis in the mid RCA as well in Left Anterior Descending Artery(LAD) with mild <50% stenosis. I have no pain at all in chest and i am still active in basketball, golf.
My echocardiography result as:
LV diastolic dimension 49mm Ejection fraction 72%
LV systolic dimension 29mm LV mass 157 gm
LV septal dimension 7 mm RV dimension 25 mm
LV free wall dimension 9 mm LA dimension 32 mm
Fractional shortening 41% Aortic dimension 29 mm

LDL Cholestrol 139 mg/dL (<130)
HDL Cholestrol 55 mg/dL (>38)

My question are :
- should i doing the angiogram?
- why calcium are attaching on outside RCA & LAD?
- is it genetic? what should i do to maintain calcium score ?

-
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:20 pm

User avatar Hello -

Your calcium score places you at mild to moderate risk of a coronary event, and the scan demonstrates apparent narrowing of less than 50 per cent in the affected arteries. Normally this wouldn't necessarily suggest an angiogram urgently unless you were having symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, etc., or unless your EKG showed significant abonormalities, which may be what led your doctor to order the CT angiogram.

I don't see anywhere in your list of results anything which suggests there is plaque on the outside of the affected arteries, so I'm not sure what gave the the notion that was the case. All I see is that there is plaque buildup inside two of the coronary arteries, each less than 50 per cent, which is usually followed medically with statin drugs and a supervised diet and exercise program to maintain or reduce the calcium score and perhaps reduce the amount of plaque. Unless your doctor has told you otherwise, I would continue the activities and exercise you currently pursue, but with some caution not to overwork yourself in an unusual fashion. So long as you are symptom-free and your obstructions are less than 50 per cent you are probably maintaining well by remaining active and, hopefully, eating a heart healthy diet as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here