Forum Name: Cardiomyopathy

Question: Hypertophic cardiomyopathy

stanlottman - Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 am

I have been diagnosis with Hypertophic cardiomyopathy and recommended to go for septal myectomy.I would like to know if there is possibility of the heart muscle to grow or thicken again and have to go for the surgery again in the future
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 pm

While there is a very small but discrete finding on long-term follow-up of some recurrence of hypertrophy (usually not in the septum but in the free wall), it is extremely rare, and the surgery has a high rate of effectiveness which far outweighs the tiny risk of recurrence of the problem.

I hope you find this helpful. Best of luck to you. Please stay in touch with us here.

|