Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: My damage from Mitral Valve Reguritation!?

trishybaby_99 - Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:11 pm

Could you please tell me what an ejection fraction of 70% and Mitral Valve Reguritation damage of 35% means and my possibility of surgery in the future and how far ahead may that be? How serious can this be by the degree of percentages?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:36 am

User avatar Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

An ejection fraction of 70% means that your heart function is normal.

Mitral regurgitation causes an overload of blood on the heart. It differs from person to person how long can the heart take it.

i do not think that there are specified time frames to decide when to interfere surgically. Meaning that i can not predict when the patient might need surgery to replace the valve. It all depends on the patient's symptoms. At this point you mentionned that you have a 35% damaged valve but you did not tell me what is the degree of regurgitation. Is it mild, moderate or severe? Also, you have not said whether you are suffering from any symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitations, dizziness, swelling of the ankles and if yes how severe and how long have you been suffering.

If you have clinically significant mitral regurgitation, i think you should be started on medications that would decrease the overload on the heart and thus slow progression of the disease.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and if you still have any questions, please, do not hesitate to ask.

|