Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Pacemaker/Defribrulator and use of a mig welder

mikemaxon - Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:37 pm

I have been told that I cannot use my mig welder since I've had a pacemeker/defibrullator implanted. Presumably due to the high amperage dc arc from the welder. Does anyone have any "definitive" information of this?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm not sure what constitutes "definitive" information for you regarding this matter, but I can tell you that manufacturers of these devices specifically list arc welders among the devices to be "avoided" when one has an ICD. A MIG welder certainly qualifies under this proscription, and can absolutely cause the device to become "confused" and either fire inappropriately or fail to fire. It can also potentially cause damage to the microprocessor, so that you simply might not know the device was no longer operational. My source for this information has been face-to-face discussions with manufacturer's reps and also printed informational sheets from the manufacturers. Perhaps you could do an on-line search using the name of the manufacturer of your device if you require (perhaps for employment purposes) some documentable specifics in this regard. Otherwise, I can tell you that yes, arc welders are among the devices to be avoided.

I hope this is helpful to you.
 mikemaxon - Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm

I appreciate the information. I had called the manufacturer and their only response was that under 400 amps would "probably be ok". So, your information sounds much more reasonable and unfortunately "confirmed" my suspicions. Again, thanks for the input.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 am

User avatar As I'm sure you know, 400 amps is just a whole lot of power, and even with no ICD of my own to be concerned about, I'd just as soon not be around that much "juice" on a regular basis. I also wouldn't want to settle for "probably ok."

Sorry this is the case, but glad I was able to help.

|