Question: 25 year old chest pressure and rash

sirgeepsalot - Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:57 pm

I am a 25 yr old male that has been experiencing chest pressure for the last month or so. I am also feeling a bit of pain every once in a while that comes and goes. The pressure is constant. I went to my primary doctor and had an EKG and chest x-ray. He said he was concerned about a collapsesd lung since I am tall and skinny, but the x-ray didn't show that. He sent me home with an anti-inflammatory that has not helped at all. I stopped taking the medicine after 2 weeks of no help. I have also developed a bumpy red rash that has localized on my elbows, knees, and hands. I returned to the doctor thinking it was an allergic reaction to the medicine, but he didn't think it looked like an allergy since it was so localized. The strange thing is that I had this rash years ago and blamed it on Doxycicline and that is now listed as an allergy of mine. Is it possible that my doctor didn't look at my heart on the x-ray since he was focusing on the lungs? The x-ray was from my side and my back (did not take a straight chest shot). My doctor now thinks that I may suffer from asthma at times, but I passed all the asthma tests while at the office. Would asthma cause constant pressure and shortness of breath sometimes? Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:10 am

It would certainly seem at least likely the doxycyline allergy has been overlooked and should be brought forcefully to the doctor's attention.

As for the other, original symptoms, asthma seems like a very likely suspect, as it often presents insidiously with chest tightness and even soreness (due to use of auxiliary muscles to compensate for the additonal work of breathing) and the shortness of breath also, of course, fits with this possibility.

I question both the failure to order a plain chest x-ray, even though I really doubt it would reveal much additional information. I really think asthma needs to be explored more fully -- but the first order of business is always to rule out the most serious possibilities first, even if they seem unlikely.

I'd go back or see a different doctor and in either case not accept a cursory exam and no diagnosis. This should have been a lot easier.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|