News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Pregnancy and palpitations

bella13 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi~ I"am pregnant with my second child and have been experiencing quite a few heart palpitations throughout the day.I have a history of MVP/heart murmur and have had no complications because of them.I"am athletic and never feel any palps while active and have no shortness of breath or pain.These are more annoying than anything else.I would have no anxiety if it weren"t for the palps.My ob gyn says that they are perfectly normal due to the increasing blood volume and hormones of pregnancy.Should I run to the ER or ride this out?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:38 pm

User avatar Hello -

Your doctor is absolutely correct on this one. Palpitations are fairly common anyway in the general population, and much moreso with MVP. Add pregnancy and they become almost unavoidable and are completely normal. Only if you were to experience significant symptoms (prolonged, rapid, forceful beating and/or lightheadedness) would you require any sort of medical intervention, and even then it's usually just a hormone/crowding issue. However, with symptoms such as I just described, it becomes more difficult to ignore, especially in pregnancy, and there are things that can be done to minimize that sort of thing if it should take place, which is fairly unlikely.

I certainly hope this is helpful and that you have an otherwise uneventful pregnancy. Congratulations!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here