Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: High Blood Pressure at Young age.

redfence800 - Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:39 pm

I wa recently told by my physician that I had high blood pressure at my last checkup. He stated that the reading was at 135/90 the first reading, and after a resting period and being rechecked. It measured 132/100 . Later in the evening I measured it at a drug store monitor and it registered 130/92. I am concerned about this, and wanted to see if it was unusual to have this type of reading at a young age (24). Recently my younger brother was diagnosed with high blood pressure at a resting level, and placed on BP meds. He is fit, and works outdoor. Cardiac risk is high in my fmaily with Father/Uncles/Grandparents/Great-Grandparents having history of heart attack/bP/cholestorol. What can I do to make myself at a lower risk for these problem, and deal with my current bP issues? Thank you in advance for your time and responce.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:02 am

User avatar Dear Redfence,

Young persons can develop high blood pressure espeically if their parents have high blood pressure or if they are of a certain ethnic background like natives or african americans.

High blood pressure is diagnosed when the lower figure (called diastolic blood pressure) is higher than 90 and the higher figure (called systolic blood pressure) is higher than 140 on 3 different occasions (on three different days of the week) in the same week.

If a person develops high blood pressure at a young age, it is always wise in my personal opinion to check for causes of secondary hypertension before the person is labelled primary hypertension.

If you are diagnosed with hypertension, you have to loose weight if you are overweight, exercise on regular basis and don't use salt in your food. If your physician prescribes medications for high blood pressure, you have to be very faithful in taking those to make sure that your blood pressure is always within normal range to avoid the long term effects of high blood pressure on the heart, brain and kidneys.

Confusedkid1988 - Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:40 pm

I was at a blood pressure thing at Sam's superstore thing, and my blood pressure read 149 and 79 the first time, the second time after waiting a little bit was 151 and 72. I AM ONLY 17 YEARS OLD!! I am really nervous about this. I am not the fittest person in the world, I am about average, its not like my stomach sticks way out or anything, but I am about average. Is this really bad? Please help. Thanks so much.

Confusedkid1988

|