Question: Problem Breathing through the nose

desiboy - Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi, I have a problem breathing through the nose after I eat a meal. 5 minutes after I am done eating and my nose capillaries feel like shrunk and can't breath through the nose. When that happens I feel a little like having a panic attack but I control it and don't let it get me cause I know that the problem can be solved somehow. I don't take any medications and never been. I eat healthy food. Don't know where the problem comes from. Please help me. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 pm

From the pattern of nasal stuffiness following ingestion of food. it makes me suspect you're allergic to something you're eating. Just the presence of food in the stomach (or its components in the bloodstream) won't cause nasal stuffiness, but if there is a protein allergy or some other specific food allergy, even with the healthiest foods, a reaction can be triggered. Are there specific foods you eat routinely, or at least a food group you like and eat a lot? Usually allergens are protein-based but not always.

If you're unable to find the root cause of this, you may need, at least temporarily, to take an antihistimine to prevent the problem. It's not as unusual as you might think.

Please get back to us about this with any additional information that might apply, but especially as to your diet. We may find there is something you're eating that can be eliminated that will solve the problem.

Best of luck to you. Stay in touch.

|