Forum Name: Cardiomyopathy

Question: "Slightly Enlarged Heart"

MYFREEBIRD77 - Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:13 pm

I'am a 44 white male. Very overweight 300lbs. 5'11

About 3 years ago I had a AF attack and ended up in the E.R.
The E.R. sent me home after hours in the E.R. after my heart went back to normal.
I was strongly advised to seek out a Cardio which I did.
The Cardio doctor did a complete work up and found the following:
1. High blood pressure ( which I apparently had for years...never saw a doctor).
2. "Slighty" enlarged heart...which he said was reversable
3. Very obese 300lbs at 5'11 inches
4. Chronic "skipped beats" due to LVH
The doctor concluded:
All my symptoms are "weight related"
Put on BP meds for reducing enlargement, skipped beats and lower BP.
also lose weight and exercise.
My question is does the weight related diagnosis seem logical?
He says my skipped beats will go away when I lose the weight. BUT they seem to be getting worse!! I have lost 30lbs so far.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:19 am

First, congratulations on your excellent weight loss progress! It is very impressive and hopefully will inspire others passing through here.

Second, yes, the weight-related diagnosis does make sense, although during times of metabolic change such as you will be undergoing for some time, premature heartbeats are often more frequent even though, again, it is logical (and usual as well) to attribute them to obesity. Once things are more in balance you are likely to see a reduction in them, but for the time being they may well be more frequent. So long as there is no left ventricular dysfunction despite the enlargement, there is little reason to be concerned. The real problem is that they are so common in general that it's difficult to tell when a given condition is causing them. You can have premature heartbeats while in perfect health and fitness as well as illness and non-fitness.

Again, congratulations on your excellent progress. Hopefully this reply is helpful. Keep up the good work.

|