Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Coronary Calcium Score: 48

runbart - Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 am

Should I take the prescription Pravastatin (Pracachol Eq) 20 MG that my heart doctor prescribed?

44 year old male, avid runner
Height: 5’ 10”
Weight: 148 lbs

Coronary Calcium Score: 48
Stress Test: Pass
Echocardiogram: No Abnormalities
EKG: Thick Heart Muscle
Cholesterol: 145 (HDL 43, LDL 91, Triglyceride 56)
Blood Pressure: 116/66
Pulse: 52
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:26 am

I can think of no reason to not take the prescribed medication and every reason to take it. Your score puts you at a slightly increased risk of a coronary event, and demonstrates that you have some early heart disease. The Pravachol could slow or arrest the development of plaque, and may well even, over time, help in its reduction. It is well worth the inconvenience of remembering to take one pill daily. Think of it as a sort of vitamin. It will be beneficial and rarely does any harm (there is, of course, the requirement to check liver enzymes after a few months or if you should develop persistent muscle aches, especially in the legs, but this is rare and usually not a problem).

Hope this is helpful.
 runbart - Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:44 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your input was very helpful.

|