News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: T inversion AVL

sanakhan1960 - Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:39 am

dear doctor

i am 48 years male, and a heavy smoker but i do regular exercise for one hour daily. last week i did my ECG since i was feeling pain in the area of my left shoulder blade in the back and inside of my rib cage. i was told that i had T inversion in avl. later on i was put through echo test which was normal. then the doc made me run submax ETT, which was also uneventful. however when it was given a full ETT , though i ran for complete test with out any discomfort but the doctor again labelled me as borderline case, i was recommened for thallium scan, which was also normal and i was discharged from the hospital and no medicine was given.

- i still feel the same pain in my left sholuder inside the ribcage in the back
- i have been taking zestril 5 mg and loprin for high blood pressure since 2001
- i am also taking glucophage 1 mg since july 2007(Diabetes type 2 and it is under control)
- i would seek your worthy opnion
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 pm

User avatar Hello -

While T-wave inversion is a common, and often non-specific finding on EKG in otherwise healthy people, finding it in a single lead, along with symptoms (even atypical symptoms such as you have experienced) makes it suspicious. The fact that the stress test was equivocal but the nuclear scan was negative leaves you still wondering if you do, in fact, have heart disease. Since you also have some risk factors for heart disease (specifically diabetes and smoking) as well as these unclear findings, your best chance of knowing for sure what's going on would be to have an angiogram, where the doctor could see, with certainty, if there is any significant disease or not, and if so, at that time, likely correct it by stent placement. If there were none on angiogram then you could relax, knowing your cardiac anatomy is normal and the pains are from some other cause.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here