Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Small Heart

worriedlover - Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm

My fiance's heart is smaller than it's supposed to be. He is about 180 lbs and 6'1. He told my your heart is supossed to be the size of your fist, and he says his heart is about the size of my fist, and I'm a small 5'2, 120 lb female. Last night while we were in the shower he squatted down and his heart looked like it was going to jump out of his chest, we hadnt endured in any pysical activity. It was moving like he had ran a marathon. It took him about 20 mins, but it went back to normal. He also sees stars randomly. Do you think this is related? What does it ultimatly mean if your heart isnt big enough for your body? His grandfather had the same problem and died at 38. He is also having a problem with his testicles. The vein that goes down into the testicles, is all tangled up like spaghetti. Do you think thats related as well?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:45 pm

The difference in heart size is not really that big an abnormality as a rule. Many people, especially those who are relatively tall and slim (as it sounds like your boyfriend is) have smaller-than-average hearts, and there's nothing really wrong with this. Sometimes people with this sort of body type (or morphology) also have a problem with occasional lightheadedness or "seeing stars", although that may also be something else entirely (does he feel faint when this happens, or does he see little lights with no other symptoms?). There could be an eye problem, or he could even be experiencing optical migraine, which is also often seen in people with this sort of body morphology.

Assuming a squatting position, in certain people, also can cause changes in the way the heart "sees" the load being imposed on it, and it may even make somewhat different sounds in that position. Still, as a rule, it means nothing. Positional tachycardia is not unusual, especially in people of this sort of build.

The "tangled" vein going to his testacles is something else again, and would be unrelated to any heart issues. Is this vein visibly tangled or is this something that can only be felt? I guess what I'm wondering is if it is a veing that's tangled (this would be unusual, although it can happen) or if it is merely the way one epididymis feels to the touch. The latter is a fairly normal finding. A "tangled" vein could suggest a minor problem, although without symptoms it probably isn't anything to be concerned about.

I hope this is helpful to you -- and to your boyfriend. Please follow up with us as needed.
 worriedlover - Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:23 am

Thank you so much! The info you posted is very helpful, has brought me a lot of relief. As for the question you asked about his testicle, it's only by touch. You cannot visibly see it. It caused pain when he first noticed, but now it seems he doesnt have any pains at all. The pain before was faint, so he wasnt too worried about it. Also when he sees the stars it's usually in the shower, but sometimes just randomly. When it occurs he sqats, as if he was going to pass out.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm

User avatar I'm very happy to have been of help. The testicular thing could have been torsion, which may now have resolved on its own (it sometimes does). And he is very wise to get close to the floor (or whatever is beneath him, bottom of the tub, etc.) when he starts to see stars. That greatly reduces the potential for a whack on the head. Good news all around! Thanks for the follow up.

|