Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Chest pain and fast heart beat rate

sama - Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm male 28 years old. I didn't work out since few years. I started exercising since two week. I ran for 4 day each week, 30 minutes per day for the first week and 40 minutes per day for the second week plus doing stretching.
In the forth day of the second week, I've increased by speed run, later in the night I've woke up and my heart rate was very fast. few days later, I have a pain on the left side of my chest and sometime i feel my hear beat very fast. so I've checked my doctor, and he said that's it's true my heard rate is fast, it's about 90 beat per minutes, but he also said, that there is nothing about that because my heart beat regularly. My heart rate before starting exercising was about 72 per minutes and now it's about 60 beat per minutes.
I've also like to mention that I'm stressed and perhaps depressed a little since few years.

What I'm wonder about is why these symptom started on night that I've increased my run speed. Also what possible causes that could lead to let appear these symtoms.

Thanks in Advance
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm

An increased resting heart rate often remains after a new and markedly demanding exercise regimen is first begun. Sometimes it is due to some residual dehydration (you must be certain to keep yourself hydrated, by drinking plenty of water before, during and after these workouts); it also can sometimes be an autonomic reflex triggered by the stress of the new exercise.

It appears that now your resting rate has slowed some, which is also typical of an effective aerobic exercise program, and is a good sign that you are making good progress.

Stress can always cause an unpleasant awareness of one's heartbeat, and can also cause an increase in heart rate. Exercise often has a good effect on stress and helps to reduce it, but concern over the health of one's heart can also be stressful.

It sounds as though you're doing well with the exercise, and your heart should start to adjust to the extra work soon. As long as it isn't running much above 100 at rest it's probably fine, as long (as your doctor said) it remains regular.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you. Keep up the good work with the exercise program.

|