Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: cardiac arrest...... can this happen with Mitral Valve leak

andreajane - Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 pm

My niece is 19 healthy, was in class the other day and suddenly went into Cardiac arrest, luckily was revived 7 times thanks to mouth to mouth and also the classroom had a defibrillator.
she is now in ICU it took awhile to stabilize her, she was running fevers and was having numerous seizures
My concern is my daughter had MRSA a few weeks ago, should I feel concerned that maybe this is what caused this to happen to her? My sister was told that my Niece has a Mitral Valve Leak and thats what caused it.
is it possible that MRSA had ANYTHING to do with this? I would feel horrible
or can a Mitral Valve Leak actually cause her this much devistation and damage she is now facing
Thank You ANYONE who can help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:54 pm

MRSA will not cause sudden cardiac arrest, so let yourself be easy about that. While mitral valve abnormalities are usually benign (as in mitral valve prolapse, the most common cause of leakage), there is a small but discrete subset of patients who, for unusual reasons, do experience sudden cardiac arrest. I want to stress that it is rare, especially with MVP, but there are some cases, especially where there is a notable leakage or regurgitation where yes, this is a possibility.

Your daughter is in no danger of having something catastrophic happen because of the MRSA infection. She will simply need to be aware of it, since it can recur, and is a nuisance more than anything else (except in the very elderly and very sick). It has nothing to do wtih the incidence of cardiac arrest, but mitral regurgitation definitely can cause this in select, unfortunate individuals. I hope your daughter stays well and that your neice is able to recover fully from this terrible mishap.

I hope this eases your mind. Best of luck to you and your family.

|