Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: pain in chest, right middle back....

jbwell - Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Greeting all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question.

For about a week or two now I have been experiencing a pain in the center of my chest that persists throughout the day. It never really gets bad, and most times it just feels like someone is gently pushing on my chest. Imagine like a cat or something lying on my chest when im lying down, thats sort of like what it feels like.

In addition, I have been having this weird pain in my back sort of middle right side. Its a pain that I only have in the morning and it only happens when I breath deeply. I have been to the doctor and she thinks its muscular because it goes away for the most part once i'm up and active.

I also have been experiencing what I can only describe as momentary hot flashes or power surges down through my arms. THey never hurt, they're just kinda wierd.

I don't think i have any family history of heart disease or anything like that. I have just had a physical exam and the results were normal with nothing appearing out of order. When I was younger, I had an EKG, and echo, etc. and also wore a holter monitor because I always would complain of feelings like my heart was skipping a beat. The doctors all said that it was just normal heart rythms that I was obsessing over and not to worry about it.

anyway, anybody have any insight? What should I do?

concerned
Jason
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:22 pm

User avatar Hi Jason,

What you describe doesn't really sound like it is heart-related, but of course you want to be certain. One thing that argues against it being your heart is the constant discomfort; another is the fact that the back pain can be reproduced by breathing (never a heart problem). What it does sound like, in fact, is possible asthma, which can present insidiously, causing a sense of tightness or pressure in the chest as well as causing sorness in the auxiliary muscles (which often are affected in the back as well as the base of the neck). The sensation going down your arms is unclear as to origin, and I generally subscribe to the conservative approach, meaning rule out the serious stuff first. For that reason you might want to have an EKG done, just to be sure there's no atypical heart symptom showing itself here, but I feel, based on the description of the thoracic symptoms that you could have new asthma (or perhaps bronchitis, even). Then again, it could all be muscular.

Once you've ruled out the biggest concerns, the lesser ones don't seem quite so worrisome.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|