Question: Chest discomfort, issues

desabends2 - Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 am

I'm a 29 year old, 155 pound male.

I've had this weird sensation in my upper chest, through the lower part of my neck. It's not "pain" per se, but a discomfort. Things like my shirt, seatbelt, blankets, etc., irritate me. Sometimes it's more noticeable than others, but never enough to worry me.

I've had this "discomfort" for over four years now. I've never thought much about it until recently. Last week, the discomfort became extremely noticeable; constant. My heart seemed to be beating harder, faster. On Sunday, October 31, 2004, I felt a little nauseous, after moving some furniture for a friend, so I went home to rest.

Later that night, a friend suggested I should take my blood pressure. It was 187/90. After being told that was extremely high, I decided to take it again later; it was still near the same range. I understand that my high blood pressure could have been a result of me panicking about the situation. Knowing that, after a few readings over the course of a few hours, I decided to lay down and rest (I know you shouldn't do that many readings close together).

The more I sat there, the more thoughts started going through my head, probably bringing aout new sensations. My arms started tingling, my left arm started to feel hot. I finally gave in and went to the emergency room at 2 AM, which took alot considering I haven't been to a doctor since I was 13 (16 years ago). Dumb, I know.

I explained to them that I have this discomfort in my chest, that it irrates me when things rub against it; emphasizing it's not a pain, but discomfort. I explained I've had this for 4 years and that it's now as bad as it's ever been.

They gave me an EKG, which was "fine." They gave me a GI cocktail, which did nothing. They gave me a chest x-ray, which, I assume was fine, as they never commented on it.

After a few hrs, they gave me a prescription for myloxicam (an NSAID), for a chest sprain, as that's what he figured it was. After reiterating that I've had a lesser version of this feeling for 4 years, they said, "I don't know why you'd have this for 4 years."

My BP reading when I got to the hospital was 154/70 something and 124/64 when leaving.

It's now THUR, Nov 4th and I still feel the same. My chest feels very heavy, during specific times, it actually feels as if it is burning (a slight burning sensation); in a centralized area, upper/center chest.

I have an appt to see a PCP for a general physical and such, Wed. Nov 10, 2004.

My questions are:(Knowing that you can't see me)

Any ideas? I do have slight asthma, but I don't seem to be too short of breath. My grandfather (mother's side) had a heart attack at 42, has had a few stents, has high blood pressure, and now is 80. My mother has severe asthma, supposed genitically high cholesterol, is on all sorts of medication, has an issue with her heart where 2 flaps are fused together, she's 51 and very, very ill.

My father's side, I have no clue. Maybe this background can help someone, at least a tad.

I'm extremly anxious about my WED appt, as, like everyone would feel, I have the whole world ahead of me.

Maybe someone can give me some information before my appt. I've been trying to post for a while, but I can't due to board restrictions that are in place. So, I've saved this and will try again.

If you can't help me, say a few prayers for Joe in Florida.

My best regards to all.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:02 am

User avatar Dear Joe,

Determining the origin of chest pain and whether or not it is of coronary origin depends on the risk factors the person experiencing chest pain has for coronary disease and the characteristics of the chest pain that the person has.

From looking at your profile, you have may be two risk factors for coronary disease, family history (your grandfather on your mother's side and i even say this with great caution even because family history means first degree relatives) and being a male.

The characterisitics of your chest pain are very atypical when compared to the characterisitics of chest pain caused by coronary disease.

Taking both of these into account (in addition to the normal ecg that you had while you had chest discomfort), i would say that the possibility of the chest pain that you are having being caused by coronary disease is very low.

Now, coming to the issue of high blood pressure. i think you have to follow your blood pressure closely to make sure that you are not going to have such high readings in the future.

desabends2 - Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:11 am

Dr.,

Thank you for your response. My blood pressure checks have been fine since the ER visit. After visiting my PCP, I've since had a basal cell cancer removed from my neck, as well as "click" diagnosed in my heart. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for this afternoon.

My chest sensations are still present and still nearly constant. From the center of my chest up through the lower part of my neck, even slightly outward near my shoulder blades; mainly concentrated in the center/upper part of my chest. The PCP has no idea what is causing them, but suggests I may have MVP, due to the newfound click in my heart.

It's a little scary when you visit the doctor and they're not really sure what's wrong with you. You, unfairly, expect them to tell you exactly what's wrong and what you need to do to fix it.

Unfortunately, that hasn't happened. I have a tough time explaining to them, my sensations. They understand what I'm saying, but do not have an answer. Part of me hopes the echo comes back with some information on what is causing these pains, but a large part of me hopes it shows nothing; that everything is in perfect working order.

But, with a click, no one knows. Funny though, the ER doc didn't mention anything about the click. This is all news to me; scary news.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:48 am

User avatar Dear Joe,

Thank you very much for the update.

There is nothing to be worried about.

A click is just a sound that a valve makes under certain conditions. Sometimes, it does not mean anything at all. However, let's wait for the echocardiography results. Mitral valve prolapse is not really a very serious condition unless associated with severe mitral valve regurgitation (blood going back to the left atrium where it should not), otherwise, if you have mitral valve prolapse, all you have to worry about is telling your dentist or doctor if you are going to have any medical procedure that you have mitral valve prolapse to receive antibiotics before the procedure, and to have follow up every year or so with an echocardiogram to see the progress of the prolapse.

i can not tell you the reasons behind the chest discomfort that you have.

If you are still worried about coronary disease, you can have an exercise stress test. If this pain continues, if i may, i would like to suggest you having a ct scan of the neck and chest to see if a cause of this chest pain could be identified.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D

|