Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: abdominal aorta - severe pain and palpatation

BiggBear - Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:07 am

I have alot of pain in the left upper quad of the abdomen and what feels like my abdominal aorta. I've had several surgeries due to a 9inch hemorrhagic cyst in the left upper quad. I'm concerned about a few images that were taken last year in an angiogram. I'm wondering if this could be related to the severe pain in the area. I am hopeful someone will know what my scan shows. It looks like a hook Thank you. I am grateful for the information.

Having trouble loading pictures. Could someone assist me?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:58 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Since your hemorrhagic cyst was located on the left, it would seem logical that sequalae would occur in that region also. The angiogram no doubt was aimed toward the region where the cyst had been, which would likely involved one of the smaller arteries feeding the ovary. And that was quite a huge cyst you had, so there is no doubt some change to the blood supply where it was. You don't mention your age, which is also usually a factor in abdominal aortic aneurism. If you're under 60 it is far less likely in general.

The "hook" shape you describe could be quite normal, depending upon where it's located in the scan. Unfortunately, so far there's no uploaded picture, but I think you can rest fairly easy that this isn't due to an aortic aneurism, although it could be something going on with a secondary vessel on the left side -- and that is just a wild guess. More likely there is some nerve injury from the original cyst and/or surgery.

You mention palpitation in the heading but not in the body of your post. I'll just say that if that's what you actually meant (instead of palpation, or manual probing of the area and feeling something in the abdomen that feels "wrong"), palpitations are not in any way directly associated with or a symptom of aortic aneurism.

The pictures might be helpful. Knowing your age would be even more helpful. All that said, I still seriously doubt you have an aneurism, but a simple ultrasound could rule that in or out and rule in or out any other structural problem as well.

I hope this is helpful to you.

|