Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Cardiac Risk Assessment?

cAitiff - Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:05 am

I have recently learned I am pregnant with a third child.
The two previous pregnancies caused my heart to go into upwards of 200+ episodes of PSVT that was triggered with even the slightest activity of climbing stairs. The first pregnancy, my cardiac problems went undiagnosed and untreated, I became almost immediate pregnant again and spent the last half of the pregnancy on lopressor and bedrest.
Afterwards, the cardiac issues continued and a total ablation of the R pulmonic valve was done. 2 years later, the scar tissue started touching my sinus node causing syncaple episodes and tachy/brady qualities (140/PVC/pause/30..all sinus)
Since I have the ablation and the pacemaker now, it's reasonably safe to assume I can continue this pregnancy? I am currently on no medication and asympotmatic

Any opinions are greatly appreciated
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:10 pm

If you've now had the atrio-ventricular (AV) node ablated (along with the pulmonic valve?) due to sick sinus syndrome (also known as brady-tachy syndrome) and are totally pacemaker dependent, I would think you'd be ok to go through with the current pregnancy, but of course your cardiologist would have the final call on that matter. If your pacemaker is of the demand type you should be able to manage the pregnancy well, and if your doctor feels this would be unwise, you could at least carry full term and deliver via C-section.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you with the pregnancy.

|