Question: dull ache on the left rib

jhains - Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:35 pm

i am 18 about 5 foot 10 and weigh about eight and half stone. i have had a dull ache in the left side of my rib for about four months now, the first time it was a shooting pain but lasted about two days i went to the doctors about it and they put me on iburpurfen for two weeks it took the pain away some days but after the two weeks i still had the dull ache, i went on holiday to tenerife for a week and it disappeared , but as soon as i got back it returned and has been there ever since, but if play sports i.e. football i do not feel a thing until i stop playing. i been to the doctors a two more times and they took my heart rate and felt around the area and listened to my breathing and heart and everything is ok, the last time i went they sent me to get a x-ray and a blood test and both returned back fine so i don't know what it is. it is starting to bring my mood down now as it is very annoying. any information would be very grateful thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:02 pm

While this sounds like an orthopedic problem most likely, the fact that it starts up after (but not during) sports concerns me just a little.

If you can reproduce or aggravate this pain by movements or manual pressure on the location, it isn't heart-related. If you can't, and if it doesn't occur during exertion but does immediately after, are there any other symptoms that occur along with it? Again, if not, it is likely not heart-related. A very simple way to rule heart issues out (or, less likely, in) would be for a doctor to perform an electrocardiogram and also to probe the area of your spleen for possible enlargement (again, unlikely).

Let us know if you can describe the precise location of the pain, and whether or not you can reproduce it by any sort of movement or contortion, or by pressing on the site of the pain.

Please get back to us on this. While it really doesn't sound cardiac-related, I'd like to be reasonably certain before sending you on your way.

|