Question: 24 Year Old with Dull Chest Pain

aquachic - Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 am

I am a 24 year old female, 5'8", 220lbs. I am fairly active, and I travel a lot - I just got back from spending 3 months in the Middle East (I doubt this is relevent). I have a family history of heart disease and high blood pressure. Although, I have never had any problem with either of these. Also, my father died of an anuerysm. I take Nexium and Yaz daily . About 6 months ago, my doctor prescribed Nexium for acid reflux, since I had the constant sensation of something stuck in my throat. After a few months on Nexium, that sensation went away, and I haven't really had any problems since.
However, for the last three days, I have been having a dull achy pain in the center of my chest. It started right after I woke up, and it felt like a burning sensation right between my breasts. I assumed it was heartburn, so I took several Rolaids and an extra Nexium. The burning sensation went away finally, but later in the day I took a nap, and when I woke up the burning had been replaced with the chest pain. The pain has been pretty much constant for the last two and half days. It is a very mild pain, and is pretty much centered along the breastbone. It bascially just feels dull and achy, although there is a slight heavy feeling as well. I have also noticed that I am belching a bit more than is normal. Other than that, there are no other symptoms. I have tried everything, including Rolaids, extra Nexium, and GasX. I am assuming that this pain is caused by acid reflux, but I want to make sure that it isn't something more serious. Is this something I should go to the ER about, or could it wait until I am able to see my family doctor?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Although the odds are extremely high that this symptom is being caused be reflux, given your family history and your height-to-weight ratio, plus the character of the pain as you describe it, I think it would be wise to be seen either at an ER or an acute care walk-in facility, if your family doctor can't work you in in a timely manner. It doesn't sound like an emergent situation, and your age (youth in this case) argues against heart involvement, I would be remiss to simply assume this is a GERD problem, even though it very probably is.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

|