Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Arterio Ventricular Malformation

Sierra5492 - Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:30 am

My Husband has been having many issues that I am very concerned about. He was diagnosed with an AV(ArterioVentricular) Malformation in the military,which when he was first diagnosed it was because he was having frequent hemoptysis. He had many different procedures done to diagnose his condition.

He has recently been experiencing these symptoms:

1. Tired all the time
2. No Energy.
3. Very irritable.
5. Severe headache left side with numbness, swelling, pain and tingling going down left arm. Hand turns colors. Disorientation occurs and has a hard time concentrating and focusing on what I am saying to him. Sometimes happens on Right side. Episodes last anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes then subsides. In the past 6 months have had about 4 or 5 episodes. The last one was about a month ago.
6. Frequent headaches that occur almost on a daily basis. I take between 4 and 6 Ibuprofen. The Ibuprofen only takes away the headache for a couple of hours and then the headache comes back.
7. Chest pains when under a lot of work related stress.

Yesterday was particularly bad in that he had those symptoms off and on all day and as of last night the episode lasted more than an hour.

Any insight would be helpful.

He is having an MRI/ MRA today which hopefully will tell us more.

I have heard that when a person is diagnosed with having AV Malformations that there are usually more than one?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:44 pm

User avatar Dear Ms. Tieman,

If a person has a-v malformation in one place. There is a high possibility that he/she has them in other palces of his body as well.

The symptoms that your husband is experiencing could be related to an intracranial a-v malformation.

i hope that the mri/mra that you are referring to is an mri/mra of the head/neck and brain circulation and this is a very good step in the right direction.

Update us with the results.

|