Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Abbreviations for ischemic heart disease

John Newton - Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:55 am

I am not a qualified practitioner, but I am an experienced medical translator. Often I have to translate (into US or UK English) appropriate abbreviations for, say, ischemic heart diease - which is commonly known by a range of names, just three of which I list below.
My query is: which abbreviation is best? Myself, I tend toward using CHD. But I notice that CAD is often used in Europe. D European and American usages differ?
Ischemic heart disease: IHD
Coronary Artery Disease: CAD
Coronary Heart Disease: CHD
Thanks in advance for guidance.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:59 am

User avatar Dear John,

i think that ischemic heart disease (ihd) and coronary artery disease (cad) are the most used. When i see these 2 abbreviations, i know what they mean immediately but as regards to coronary heart disease (chd), sometimes i say to myself what to they mean with this abbreviation till it hits me, it takes a while but i get it at the end.

Some people sometimes make the distinction between coronary artery disease and coronary (and ischemic) heart disease as these 2 terms mean 2 different things. Coronary artery disease means that the disease has affected the coronary arteries only and that though the arteries are diseased the heart has not suffered the consequences yet. And coronary (and ischemic) heart disease means that the heart has already suffered the consequences in the form of complications like heart failure for example.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and i hope i haven't confused more.

|