News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Left side chest pain and rib pain

jmh14 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:16 pm

I am 26 year old male. I have had these symptons for several months now. The symptons come and go. Left side chest pain, pain in ribs, pain extending down left arm, tightness extending up left side of neck to jaw. I do not smoke, I work out 4 to 5 times a week eat healthy and live a healthy life style. Like I said some weeks the symptons cease to exist then here recently it seems to be day after day. I have had an EKG and chest X-rays done both have had good results. I was just told to take motrin. Any anwsers?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:41 pm

User avatar Hello -

Based on your normal EKG, tolerance for exercise, long-term stability of the symptoms and the advice to take Motrin, I would think your doctor suspects, but cannot prove, chest wall inflammation, possibly pleurisy. This would seem reasonable, as this can sometimes cause pain radiating up to the neck and into the arm on the affected side, especially during a deep breath. If breathing or other upper body motion aggravates this pain you can be certain it is an inflammatory problem. If not, it may require further investigation. Has the Motrin helped, by they way?

Best of luck to you. I hope this has been helpful. Please follow up here as necessary.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here