Question: Left arm pain, elbow shocks, carpal tunnel? Wrist brace?

stefa22 - Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:30 pm

Hi.
For the last year or so, I have had "problems" with my left arm. Sometimes it will become very heavy feeling, with a dull pain. That will usually last about half an hour, and occurs very rarely. Sometimes I will get pretty extreme pain, starting by my hand, and ending at my shoulder. When that happens, it's constant for about three or four days, then just disappears. And sometimes, most often of the three, when I put my elbow on the table, I will get a shock, starting at my elbow, and travelling up my arm to my shoulder. The shock is so great, it brings tears to my eyes. And it doesn't happen only once. Some days, I cannot put my elbow down all day, for each time, there will be the shock. Do you have any idea what could be causing these things to happen? I went to the doctor the last time I had the extreme pain, starting at my wrist, and she said she thought I might have a slight form of carpeltunnel. She had me wear a wrist brace to bed for a week. I really don't think it helped. The pain went away, but every time it's come, even without the brace, it eventually went away. I'm 22 years old and in fairly good health. Thank you.

-Stefa
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:47 pm

User avatar Dear Stefa,

i think you should have x-ray on your neck to make sure that you do not have any problems with your vertebrae and discs as your symptoms could be originating from vertebral disc disease.

If your neck is normal and you continue to have the same symptoms then my advice is to see a neurologist.

|