Question: Chest pain and occassional strong heart beat.

lfodcrew - Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi I am a 20 year old male and I have chest pain on and off. I wake up in the morning and feel great. If I do something physical there is a chance my chest pain will occur, but it often happens when I am in school or about to go to bed. Occassionally my heart will beat hard as well but I think that is because I get nervous. I am sure it is not acid as I do take prilosec regularly because I have GERD. I also have gotten my blood pressure and cholesterol done and they are fine. My pulse is around 65-70 bpm range. I have had this pain for about a month. it started after I had my first and only panic attack while smoking marijuana. It was only the third (most likely last) time i've smoked it in my life. I am not sure if the pain caused the panic attack, or the panic attack caused the pain, or if there is no connection. I also think of myself as anxious but this happens too often i think to be considered anxiety related. Much appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:57 pm

What would really be helpful would be if you can decribe for us the nature and specific location of the pain. While non-specific chest pain is often a feature of anxiety, and can also cause anxiety (almost always does), it could have some other, more concrete cause. It is difficult to hazard a guess, however, without the additional information. Hopefully you'll be able to provide that and we can go from there.
 lfodcrew - Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:53 pm

The pain is kind of dull, almost like pressure or fullness in the center of my chest near the breastbone. I am reposting this because it went away for a month and came back after I had smoked marijuana again. I was a tad anxious while intoxicated but nothing too major, I am sure it has to do with either the smoking, the THC, or the anxiety. I was thinking that perhaps I have mild asthma brought on by the smoke since i do not smoke regularly. This time around however I am much less nervous as I am hoping it will dissappear as it did before.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:51 pm

User avatar Hi again -

While dull pain or pressure beneath the breastbone is often suspect in nature, if it's only happening when you smoke, and you feel anxiety along with that, it may be either caused by the anxiety or by mild asthma, as you theorize. The infrequent smoking could cause mild asthma,which often presents as chest tightness. If this discomfort should occur at other times, especially during exertion, however, you then will need to be evaluated for possible heart problems. However, given the connection between the episodes of discomfort, anxiety and pot smoking, it seems most likely it is related to those things instead.

Keep us posted if anything changes. Otherwise, good detective work. Stay well.
 bmw330i - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:27 pm

I am a 22 year old male and I have the same problem when I smoke marijuana except my chest pain is almost constant now. When I smoke it makes it worse. The pain is in my left breast and sometimes in my ribs right under my nipple with some bubbling and popping and sometimes there is pain and stiffness in my shoulder and neck. I have constant pain in my chest and the back of my left arm into my elbow. My heart rate is normal, but can be quite strong at times. I do have some anxiety problems which could contribute to that. Sometimes the tips of my fingers tingle on my left hand when the pain gets really bad. I was previously diagnosed with Pleurisy a couple of months ago, but the pain still persists. It still hurts when I take in a deep breath. Any help would be appreciated.

John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:52 pm

User avatar For BMW33oi: This definitely does sound like pleuritic pain, which can be very stubborn if not treated with anti-inflammatory medications. It also is problematic in that any form of smoking will aggravate it and can, in some instances, be the underlying cause. It would be well worth an experiment (laying off the marijuana) for a period of time (two weeks at least) to see if this doesn't resolve the problem. Also an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory (naproxen being the safest and very effective) may help.

Hope this is useful to you. Good luck and please follow up with us as needed.
 joanne5612 - Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 pm

For the past three days I have had chest pain off and on. The pain is straight across my chest. I am also weak and have occasional nausua. I do suffer from anxiety disorder that I started having after I saw my father have a heart attack. The thing is I get the pain and then I get anxious not vise verca. I think I might just have a bug but I am not sure. I currently do not have any health insurance so I really don't want to go to the doctor. I do have a long history of thinking I am having a heart attack and have been to the ER several times, thankful with nothing wrong. However, somehow this pain feels different. I also get a headache off and on and some dizziness. I have moderate neck pain and some tingling in my arms. This however, has been ongoing for several months. If you could just tell my how long symptoms of a heart attack last I think these problems would go away once I knew for sure I wasn't experiencing one. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

|