Question: Costochondritis

debbie76 - Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:08 pm

hi! i have been experiencing mild to moderate chest pain which i also describe as crushing and squeezing.Its has been on and off for 6 months now.It attacks at rest,wakes me up in the middle of the night.It goes back suddenly even at work or unexpectedly.Ive seen a doctor once and told me im fine since my ECG was normal and the pain wasnt associated with shortness of breath.He said,its only costochondritis,at my age of 28, its very unlikely to be cardiac.I don't have family history of heart probs but this is becoming uncomfortable when i feel it,though i can take NSAID at times but i don't really like to take meds for long time.wont this condition stop? or do I need further test?.I need other doctors advice.Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:28 am

User avatar Dear Debbie,

It looks like you don't have any risk factors for coronary disease. The chest pain that you have been having have some typical and some atypical characterisitcs of pain caused by coronary disease.

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

The characteristics of the chest pain that you have been having are not typical of costochondritis also, i think what you might be having is esophageal spasms and/or reflux.

|