News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: pain like a charley horse on my left forearm

deniseb1974 - Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 pm

I just started taking Lamisil recently for toenail fungus and around the same time I have been waking up in the middle of the night with severe pain that lasts 5-10 minutes on my left inside forearm area. I have had charley horses about 5 or so years ago in my legs and it was due to low potassium. Is it possible to get a charley horse on the inside of your left arm? I am losing sleep because last night alone it happened at 1, 3 and 5am. I am a insulin dependent diabetic for 23 years now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:11 pm

User avatar Hello -

It is entirely possible to get a charley horse (muscle spasm) in one's forearm, and these tend to happen a lot at night when potassium levels are low. Some people have chronically low potassium levels, and while there can be clear-cut cause many times, there are also unclear causes which sometimes require a prescription potassium supplement (time-released) which will not only help reduce or prevent muscle spasms, but also the occasional heartbeat irregularity that can be caused by low potassium.

I'd approach my doctor to have serum potassium (K) tested and, if it is consistently lwo, have an inexpensive, generic time-release potassium prescribed at least until or unless the source of the potassium loss can be uncovered.

Best of luck to you with this. It's a fairly simple problem to manage, sometimes more difficult to actually cure.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here