News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest pressure primarily on the left side

bluemeesh1 - Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm

I am a 33 year old new mom, 6 months post pardom. I have been experiencing chest pressure and pain primarily on the left side of my chest. Sometimes the pain is worse than others. I have had an EKG, worn a holter monitor and have had a chest X-Ray and everything is normal. Do I have any need to be concerned that this is my heart? What should I do next?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:55 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Given the negative findings of all the appropriate exams to rule out anything serious, I think your symptoms, while quite real, are unlikely to be anything worrisome. Since you've recently given birth, things can be a little bit moved around inside, and what you're probably feeling is a referred discomfort related to some sort of irritation of your diaphragm on the affected side. Sometimes the spleenic (left-sided) flexure of the colon can become irritable or allow gas to become trapped, referring this same sensation up to the left chest and even into the left armpit or lower left neck. It's not serious but can be awfully annoying.

While everything would seem to in perfectly good order, I would be remiss if I didn't add that of course, if anything changes, if the sensation becomes more severe or new, related symptoms develop, that you should, of course, advise your doctor at once. However, I don't expect this to happen. It would seen you're in excellent shape and just experiencing some of the little anatomical annoyances that sometimes follow pregnancy and delivery.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here