Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Clot in hand becoming bigger.

LMBJack08 - Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 pm

I was recently diagnosed with pneumonia, and was hospitalized for a week. My IV's began to infiltrate more and more often, and my blood vessel blew in my hand as a result of trying to find a vein. I had a blood clot that formed on my hand when that happened, but it went away. It has been two months since I was hospitalized, and another clot has formed in my hand and it's becoming bigger, and I've experienced pain and tingling in my hand. I have been experiencing more hair loss, my systolic has been relatively high, and my diastolic has been low, the average between the two has been around 78. I was concerned, and didn't know if I should be or not.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:05 pm

The main danger with clots or phlebitis (inflammation of a vein) in the superficial veins is infection. While there shouldn't be any overwhelming reason for concern in terms of a threat to life, the thing has to at least be uncomfortable and could, if it hasn't already, become infected. It should at least be looked at. Sometimes these things can be made to resolve by application of moist, warm (not hot) compresses, but if it doesn't clear up on its own soon, it should at least be evaluated medically. If you have tingling in your hand the clot may be causing pressure on a nerve.

As for the hair loss, I have no idea what may be causing that. Your mean blood pressure isn't a meaningful measurement, but if the upper (systolic) number is high (over 140) and the diastolic is low (below 60) a wide range like that is often indicative of anxiety more than anything else.

I hope this is helpful to you.

|