Question: Sharp Pain on Right Side of Sternum

cd61182 - Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:54 pm

Im 22yr old female, 5'4 150lbs. i have an asthma problem that i have been able to control by taking a steriod inhaler once a day for a couple of years now. I do not smoke, i do not drink, but i do have a history of heart problems on my dad's side (which those problems disappeared about 10-15 years ago for him). For the past two days, about 4 hours apart from each other i have had a 10 to 20 second sharp pain about one inch to the right of my sternum. Since i have asthma im not sure if the shortness of breath is from my asthma or from the heart problem but I rub the area until it goes away but in some instances it hurts more. Eventually the pain lingers away and i am left with a numb warm/hot feeling. Why is this happening to me? What do i need to do? I have also felt my heart rate go fast sometimes when i go to bed in the last 2 weeks before the pain started settling in 2 days ago-Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:00 pm

User avatar Dear cd,

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

Most probably it is related to the lungs in some way.

i would recommend calling your primary care physician to let him know about it and if the pain continues to be a problem more than another 2 days, i would recommend that you be seen by your primary care provider.

cd61182 - Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:43 pm

Thank you Dr. Mokhtar. I will take your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

|