Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: VEIN PAINS

junards - Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:45 pm

I don't know if I'm in the right corner of this lounge neither do i know where to categorize my pain. I am a college student and i was confined for about two nights because of food poison. Because i lost a lot of fluid in my body, they had to use a dextrose on my left palm. It's been past a month now since the incident BUT my vain on my left hand is killing me. When it gets touched or bumped it really hurts. The vain is also kind of swollen. I have tried hot and cold compress but it just won't go away. I have had it checked by a doctor and she gave me pain relievers but it just won't do it. She also said that my vain just got irritated and that there's nothing to worry about. Well it's been more than a month and i can hardly get anything done because of the pain.. please tell me what to do or how to go about it.. if perhaps i am in the wrong section here pls do correct me. thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:47 pm

User avatar Hi there -

I think your problem, being a vascular one, is probably fine in this area. It's as close as you could come.

Now am I to understand an intravenous drip was placed in the palm of your hand? I don't think I've ever seen that done before, and I've seen (and done) some odd IV placements. Be that as it may, this is a sensitive area and it's not surprising the IV has caused problems. However, that doesn't make it OK. It should be healed by now, and if it's not then it needs to be examined by an MD who cares enough to pay attention to the problem. It may actually have irritated some other structure, a nerve or a ligament, but it's impossible to tell from here. In any case, this isn't a normal IV placement nor is it a normal outcome. Pain relievers don't solve the problem, and it sounds like a quite painful one.

A second opinion is about the best thing I can recommend, as your current doctor doesn't seem appropriately concerned about this. Hands get a lot of use.

Best of luck to you. Please update us if anything changes or if there's any additional information you may have left out.

|