Forum Name: Pericardial Diseases

Question: Pericarditis as a teenager - recurrent later in life?

Anonymous - Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:27 am

Is it possible that having pericarditis as a teenager can lead to recurring symptoms later on in life?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:35 pm

User avatar Dear John,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Yes, you can have recurring pericarditis.

And this could be actually complicated sometimes so that you will complain of other symptoms of pericarditis complications.

However these are not really so common.

Once more thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:36 pm

Thanks.

I'm 27 now.
I had Pericarditis when I was about 17 or 18. The doctor told me that I had a rather severe case (as pericarditis goes) and that apparently there was some scarring.
It is whenever I get deep aches around my chest and down my left arm (rare - about two or three times a year on average) that I tend to think that it might be reccuring affects from pericarditis.
I do sometimes worry though, but it is good to know now that pericarditis is a possibility.
I wouldn't like to think that it could be something more serious for a guy of my age.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:37 pm

User avatar Dear John,

Thank you very much for the update.

Was a cause for your pericarditis ever found? Or was it of the idiopathic type?

And are you being treated for any other diseases?

About the pain that you have in your chest referred to the left arm it can be from pericarditis but does it occur on exertion? how long does it last? any thing you do to make go away? do you smoke? any body in the family have coronary disease? Have you ever told your doctor about this chest pain and if yes was this pain ever evaluated?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:38 pm

I was never given a full explanation of why I got pericarditis, but was told that it could have been an elergic reaction to something, cat fur perhaps (I have cats) or even from stress or worry.
The aches I get don't seem to be triggered by excersise of any kind as I often visit the gym. I never drink or smoke - never have - and none of my family have had problems before.
The aches last for about a day, but aren't bad enough to disturb my daily routine, and as I said before, the aches aren't frequent.
 Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:39 pm

....Oh, I don't attempt to tread the aches as they do go away and I haven't mentioned them to a doctor.
I do have treatment for asthma - Inhalers - and am also prone to eczema and allergies (hay-fever, animal fur).

Thanks, John.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:40 pm

User avatar Dear John,

Thanks for your reply.

It looks from what you said that this chest pain is not because of coronary disease.

Good luck with your health and thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:41 pm

Thank You

|