Question: Upper left chest pressure

Matty08 - Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm

I am a 58 year old female..
226 lbs - diabetic (metforin only) - high blood pressure (linisopril 20 mg) - this has been high over the last 6 months. Bi-polar - on medication.

Live an extremely stressed life as care taker for 2 other disabled family members. Have been under excessive stress over last few days. I have no insurance, so I haven't gone to have it checked.

Constant chest pain in upper left breast and into arm pit .. started 2 days ago, rested yesterday and it eased somewaht - but not all the way. Today it was there and in the last 2 hours, it has become a very strong constant pain. Not on and off..constant and is hurting more and more.

Any possible ideas. This is my first time here ...Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Given your age, weight and history of diabetes, I would strongly recommend you get this ruled out as a possible heart issue first and foremost. You have several significant risk factors for heart disease and you are having suggestive chest pain. It would be far wiser to get this checked first and, if it is not heart-related, then you can relax and take your time trying to figure out what less ominous thing it could be. Constant chest pain, even if it is left-sided, especially radiating (in this case into the left armpit) is a slightly ambiguous finding normally, but given the risk factors plus the fact that diabetics don't always feel the full extent of normal pain, and women often present with heart problems atypically, this should be your first order of business. Get this ruled out, preferably at an ER or acute care walk-in facility.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here and keep us updated.

|