Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: May It be Sleep Apnea?

missbadazz20 - Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:17 am

Hello, Okay I'm gonna start from the beginning so you can understand a bit. I was born with a Heart Murmur as a baby, the dr's told her I would out grow it when I got older. Though...I never did, But my Heart Murmur was nothing serious. They even have done Ultrasound Test's on my heart, just too make sure. At the age of 10, I started having...problems..sleeping. One night I woke up gasping for air as my airhole felt as if it was closed. Of course I was Scared, It took I dunno 10-19 seconds too get my air back. This would happen alot, and I always thouht it was due to my Heart Murmur. I also couldn't sleep on my back, if I laid or tried sleeping on my back. I would of course wake up and wouldn't be able to breath like the air got tooken from me for awhile. I would bring it up but I never got any real Answers. So I never took it so seriously I just figured well....maybe its part of having a heart murmur. This would go on alot, Each year as I got older the lesser it started too happen. As long as I didnt accidently fall on my back asleep or lay too low I was okay. When I was about 14 It kinda faded off so I kinda felt good.
When I got Pregnant with my first child..I noticed it came back but alot worser. It would happen alot. Sometimes twice a week sometimes more. I could never rest when I was Pregnant. After I had my First child, the problem's slipped away. And When I had my Second Child The Problem Came back, And Now I'm carrying my Third Child [ Actually my last that Im allowed too have ]. I'm not far along..but Dismorning when I was drifting back too sleep. I got woken up and I felt no air..I was scared...and I thought I was dieing.. and I couldnt get my breath back and I ran too the bathroom and I finally got it back. My Boyfriend ran upstairs said he heard me and asked me if I was alright. I started too cry and I told him ''it's back''. I looked on line dismorning...trying too find answers, Solution's. I could not find anything linking too a heart murmur that sounds Similar too the problem Im having. Instead I found it odd how alot of people were having same Similar problems too what I am having. And It was Called ''Sleep Apnea''. I ain''t for sure if this what I have or may be it sounds like something different. I want to know what is going on so I can speak with my Baby's Dr when I call her up Sometime Next week. I am tired of being scared, Im tired of feelin like one day I wont be able to get my breath back. I'm not even sure if that could be a Possibilty?. I'm afraid it may get worser, Im afraid it may lead into something bad. I just want a normal life. And Im only looking for answer's Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:22 am

Of course this is a very scary feeling. It is very likely you are experiencing sleep apnea and this can be serious so it is important you talk to your doctor about it. Sleep studies can be done and some people benefit from having CPAP prescribed for sleep. You wear a mask (like and oxygen mask) that delivers air in little bits of pressure so you don't have these episodes. If you are a candidate, this can make all the difference to you. Most people report they feel much better during the day as well once they are getting good, restful sleep at night.

|