Question: discomfort in center of back through to neck and jaw

suzb - Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:49 pm

I am a healthy 2 yr postmenapausal 51 yr old female that recently began experiencing pain in the center of my back that sometimes hurts through to the front of my neck and sometimes to my left jaw. The pain in my back was bad enough that I did go to my family physician who xrayed my spine but did not find any abnormalities and also did a abd. sonogram that was normal. He perscribed Moblic 7.5 mg for inflamation and it made the pain much better for one week. It has been a little over a week now and it is better but it is begining to hurt again. I have a very bad family history of heart disease...both parents have had bypass surgery.. my father had his first heart attack at age 41 and my mother at age 69. I am concerned that it may be my heart and the Moblic is just making the pain better. My B/P has been elevated anywhere from 140/84 - 165/104 which is unsual for me but I have gained about 10 lbs recently (I weigh 150 now) so I think that is prob what caused my B/P to go up. I do have the discomfort in my jaw/s without having the pain in my back. Does this sound like something I would need to have checked again?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:56 am

User avatar Hi there -

While the Mobic did seem to ease the back pain for a while, the associated neck and jaw pain along with your markedly positive family cardiac history, should be a red flag to your doctor to explore and hopefully rule out any coincidental heart problems that may be overlapping with what does seem to be an orthopedic back problem. The trouble here is that there are often unfortunate overlaps of medical problems which sometimes represent strange and very serious coincidences -- that is, more than one thing can be going on and the symptoms become blurred or one masking the other.

You have several major risk factors for heart disease and you have some symptoms which could be suggestive of a problem in that area. You need to have this ruled out, despite the fact that the central issue -- the back pain -- has grabbed your doctor's attention and possibly distracted from a more thorough exam.

You may well have no heart problem at all, but given the risk factors and the symptoms, it's really quite important you have this checked. If there's no problem, that's great. If there is one, you certainly need to know, because once heart disease becomes symptomatic, it definitely requires treatment.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

|