Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: PE Resulting in chronic Pleurisy

SLJones77 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Throughout the last 4 years, I've had 4 PE's. It has caused so much scar tissue that I get Pleurisy very easy.

I have flare ups of pain so unbearable that I end up in the ER. I'm currently having ALOT of pain in my right lung, cannot breath well and my left leg is swollen and is killing me.

I do not want to run back to the ER because they treat me like I'm a nuisance and I'm always (except for 4 times) diagnosed with pleurisy.

Any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:29 pm

As you already know, pleurisy can be excruciating. That alone warrants urgent symptomatic care. As for the difficulty breathing, that could be due to pleurisy or could be due to a PE. You already know all this, so it must be very frustrating to just be told you've got pleurisy. The leg needs an ultrasound, and you should also have a D-dimer drawn, to be certain you don't have another clot or haven't had one recently.

The only problem with going to the ER frequently (with a very positive history of a serious problem such as you have) is not that they will think you a nuisance -- they're being paid to be there anyway -- but that you get the appropriate attention and diagnostic procedures to ensure you remain safe and healthy. If the local ER is unable to provide this, hopefully there is another facility reasonably nearby where you can be evaluated properly. On the other hand, if they are doing these tests and are coming up empty-handed, then perhaps you do have pleurisy only at this time, but with your history you deserve a comprehensive workup whenver symptoms appear. Is it possible to make an appointment with a vascular surgeon to follow you for the current problem?

Please follow up with us as needed and keep us updated. Best of luck to you.

|