Question: lateral ischemia on EKG

dholi - Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 pm

I am an RN having a myomectomy next week. Since I work at a surgery center, I did my own EKG last night and the machine interpreted ST depression in the lateral leads. I was sitting up while I took the test. Besides a HGB of 9.2, I am otherwise healthy and active. I could see slight depression (1.0mm) in V4-V6. Machine stated possible lateral ischemia. Have had low K level in the past year. What do you think?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While self-administered EKGs do have their limitations as a rule (for a number of reasons), the finding of "possible lateral ischemia", while a very common non-specific finding by the EKG machine's own database, does warrant a "real", supine EKG administered by another party. This should be done anyway, pre-surgery. The fact that you saw some .1 mm depression in some leads could be artifact due to you having been upright, having done the tracing yourself, etc., or it could be due to a chronic or recurrent low K levels. A BMP draw and proper EKG should clarifiy this for you, and, as I've said above, should be done anyway, prior to the myomectomy. The HGB is a little high, and that also warrants followup, but shouldn't serve as a contraindication to surgery.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck and please do follow up with us.
 dholi - Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks,

I had another EKG done supine by a coworker and it was normal! That's what I get for self diagnosis!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm

User avatar You're welcome!

It almost always turns out that way. Good news! :)

|