Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Stenosis in the Carotid artery

lordpuffer - Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:49 am

I am a 46 year old white male. I recently had a Carotid Duplex Scan and found out that I have stenosis of 10 to 20 percent in the left carotid artery. The right carotid is fine. Can that also mean that I have similar blockage in my heart arteries? My EKG is normal and I do not really have any symptoms of heart disease like shortness of breath or pain upon exercion. Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:17 pm

User avatar Dear Lordpuffer,

Yes, this could mean that you have atherosclerosis in your arteries, could be your heart arteries, your leg arteries, your brain arteries, your gut arteries, any artery.

10-20% is not a big deal. It is insignificant. Check your cholesterol. It is time to start taking an aspirin every day after checking with your primary health care provider to see whether this is ok for you or not. Eat healthy and exercise (if not already doing that) and if you are overweight, lose weight, stop smoking and drinking. In short, try to adopt a healthy life style.

|