Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High Blood Pressure and Flying a problem?

jjrosen - Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 am

I have stage 1 hypertension according to my blood pressure monitor. I have not yet had it diagnosed by my doctor, but my monitor tells me my BP is 160/95. I can't find anything definitive, but I'm going on a plane soon and I want to make sure that there's no risk of high blood pressure and the low pressure of going on a plane.

Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:14 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While it is not unreasonable to ask such a question, since you haven't been diagnosed with hypertension (although your home monitor certainly suggest it), there is generally little problem with normal airline flights even with people who have diagnosed high blood pressure. However, it is prudent to ask. You should probably schedule a visit with your doctor and have serial blood pressure checks done to ascertain whether (and if so, how severe) your hypertension is. Home monitors can often be wrong, and the number you quote here, while definitely higher enough to qualify, could be a "part-time" reading (our pressures do generally vary a great deal during the course of a day) or the monitor could be inaccurate, which often happens. Better to not self-diagnose. Have your doctor check, and have him also give you the green light to fly. It shouldn't be a problem, even if you are mildly hypertensive.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|