Question: left ventricle enlargement ?

cardiac - Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:29 am

hi.i am 23 years old and nowdayss suffering from very wiered sensation.i have heart palptation and i cn feel the heart beats everywhere and specially in my palms.i also feel strong beat when i lay down to my left side and in my stomach also.i laso have pain in my stomach sometime at the place where heart is located and some time in left side.i also experiences shortness of breath and i aslo have gastris. i consulted doctor and he said itss due to anxiety and he also ask form some test and their results are
ecg = normal sinus rythm
echo = ivs ed = 8mm
lved = 46 mm
rved = n
laes = 28mm
lv pw ed = 8mm
rv ant wall = n
aorta = 26mm
then all cardiac chambers are of normal size
normal rv and lv systolic function
cardiac valves are normal
diastolic function normal
lvef 62 %
i also have high blood pressure some times ranges between 130/80 to 150/100
now my question is my left ventricle is normal in size or what.and how fyn my heart is working and why i am having these strnage sensations.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:12 pm

User avatar Hi there -

First, while the sensations you feel are real (and often "normal" or at least not dangerous), they can be caused or at least magnified by anxiety. This is no joke, no "It's all in your head" response, either. You feel these things. The paradox is many people are not as sensitized to them, and anxiety can actually cause stronger cardiac output, so these nominally normal sensations become very noticeable to many people who suffer from anxiety. Those who experience increased blood pressures because of anxiety are more likely to notice these things than some other anxious persons.

Anxiety was described early on as "the unpleasant emotion." There's no question it's unpleasant. I'm not sure it's proper to even call it an emotion when it goes into overdrive due to a chemical imbalance or obsessive behavior (and somatic awareness -- noticing your body acting normally -- is an obsessive trait). At that point it becomes a self-perpetuating problem. To feel anxious when there is something wrong is normal. To feel anxious when nothing is wrong is sometimes not normal. There are two excellent ways to treat generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and even panic disorder, which is a more dramatic and less predictable form or anxiety: the first is medication, and there are several families of meds your doctor can try. Then there is cognitive behavioral therapy, which helps teach the patient how to manage out-of-control anxiety by recognizing the triggers that set it off. The two together are the best combination. You should discuss this possibility with your doctor.

Your left ventricle is of normal size and, just as importantly, is functioning properly. The left ventricular ejection fraction is the single most important measurement of the heart's functioning, and yours is excellent. Try to be happy about that; not everyone knows it.

As you learn to manage your anxious feelings the strange sensations will become less and less noticeable and will slowly fade from your awareness. Only your blood pressure may require medication to manage it, but only if controlling your anxiety problem doesn't allow it to go back down on its own. This is a potential problem, but not a huge one, since the elevation is likely due to anxiety (a very common symptom).

I hope this helps. Please follow up with your doctor regarding possible ways of getting the anxiety problem under your control. Also, please follow up with us here as needed, especially if you have any additional questions. Best of luck to you.

|